Armistice Day Lest We Forget

REMEMBER THE FALLEN



Rememberance Day (also known as Poppy Day or Armistice Day), it is a memorial a day where the UK and other commonwealth countries remember the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty. We not only remember those who have died in Past wars but also current ones that are presently happening.

"Rememberance Day is normally observed on the 11 November to recall the end of hostilities of World War I on that date in 1918. Hostilities formally ended "at the 11th hour of the 11day of the 11th month" in accordance with the Armistice, signed by representatives of Germany and the Entente between 5:12 and 5;20 that morning. ("At the 11 hour" refers to the passing of the 11th hour or 11:00am) World War I officially ended with the signing of teh Treaty of Versailles on June 28 1919. " (Wikipedia - Rememberance Day)


 So why do we call it Poppy Day? Well the poppy has become a familiar emblem due to the poem "In Flanders Fields". These Poppies bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in World War 1, and it is their brilliant red colour that is has been the appropriate symbol of the blood spilled in the war. When it is worn, it looks like a blood stain and in the centre is the black bullethole.

As Rememberance Day falls on a Sunday,  not only will I be remembering those who have died in past wars and present wars, but I will also be honouring our Lord Phoebus Apollo as this day will also be dedicated to him (after all it is Sunday- Day of the Sun, Hence Lord of the Sun God Apollo). I shall also be giving prayers to our Lord Ares and Lady Athena as they are the God and Goddess of War, so it is only appropriate they be honoured at this time as well. I will be setting up a "Rememberance Altar" to honour those soldiers who have passed and also ask for protection and grace to those who are still fighting in the line of duty. So as you can see below this is my "Rememberance Altar 2012". I will also be doing a "Rememberance Rite" as well as reciting the poem "In Flanders Fields"

Lest We Forget





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Pagan Bookshelf

Updates and other Life stuff

Prayer to Lady Artemis